2012-01-04

New Year’s Day (1)

Everybody woke up late except Feina. No one knew how early had she been out. This was her holiday.
The whole family went to a Chinese restaurant at lunch time. They waited for long, long time to get a table.
Mum gazed at the menu and nagged, “The price’s going up again. Terrible inflation.”
“I’d prefer hamburger than these stupid Dim Sums.” Bill groaned, eating reluctantly.
“Tut-tut!” Mum complained, “Close your mouth when you’re chewing.”
“This is the first day of the year. Why can’t I eat something I like?” Bill continued.
“You should say ‘New Year’s Day’.” Mom corrected his wordings..
“Yeah--, it’s New Year’s Day.” Beth was yawning. “What’s your wish, Dude?”
“As usual.”
“What is it?” Dad was curious.
“I won’t tell.”
“But I can tell.” Beth mimicked his voice. “Oh God, please make me the best football player in the universe!”
“Really? How do you know?” Mum asked.
He made this same wish since he’s 6-year-old.
“I’ll never tell you anything again.” Bill scowled at Beth.
“This is not a good wish.” Mum frowned.
“Don’t worry, Mom. It’ll never be came true.” Beth was confident.
“I’ll prove that you’re wrong.” Bill said.
“You won’t coz you’re the shortest one in your grade.
Messi is short. Maradonna too. They are great.” Bill tried to say calmly.
“Yeah, only two out of so many short footballers. And both of them are strong.”
“I will be strong too. I will grow.”
“Everybody grows, and you’ll still be the shortest and slimmest one in your peer group.”
“I will be tall and strong! And l’ve got talent!” Bill said loudly.
“Talent? How come you’re still not in the school team yet? For all six years did the coaches notice you at all?
“I will be in school team in the end!” Bill said, “If not in primary school then in secondary school.”
With your result? You can’t get into La Belle Boys’ School at all.”
“It doesn’t matter! I can get into whichever secondary school with football team!
“Don’t ever think like this! screamed Mum.
There was a moment’s silence in the restaurant. All customers stared at them.
“Ha!” Dad said to the shocked people, holding up his roast pork bun. “Food here is great!”
~To be continued~

No comments:

Post a Comment